It was one of those weeks. One of those “you know you’re a mom when…” kind of weeks. It started off innocently enough – a moment here, a moment there. But when I started to add up all those moments, the truth was inescapable. The “you know you’re a mom when” reality settles around you in the fog of exhaustion before you even know what happened.
So I am jumping on the parenting blog bandwagon and making a list… the top moments of the “you know you’re a mom when” week:
1. You know you’re a mom when… You reach into your purse to get your keys, and instead end up with a handful of kazoos, stickers from the doctor’s office and soggy Cheerios. And then you realize that your keys were in the other hand the entire time.
2. You know you’re a mom when… You don’t bother grabbing a cupcake at the birthday party de jour because your toddler will inevitably take one, lick the frosting off and then hand it to you expectantly. And you’ll eat it because, really, who wants to waste a perfectly good cupcake?
3. You know you’re a mom when… You finish the last sticky bite of your kid’s fruit leather when there’s no trash can in sight because the other option is to put it in your purse (see #1). After all, being a mom also means being a human garbage disposal (see #2).
4. You know you’re a mom when… Your house is filled with the sounds of the Disney hits Pandora radio station, even when you’re home alone because you’re too exhausted to change it. Or to notice in the first place.
5. You know you’re a mom when…you get up to pee at 3am for the fourth time that hour due to the baby in utero jumping on your bladder, only to return to your bed to find your toddler laying on your pillow spooning your husband, leaving you to sleep at the foot of the bed like the family cat.
6. You know you’re a mom when… Even with numbers 1-5 (and plenty more moments like that) you love every minute of it and wouldn’t change it for anything.
What are your “you know you’re a parent when” moments?